Sunday 13 January 2013

Day #42 - January 13

SAM ON THE FINAL FILM IN THE LORD OF THE RINGS TRILOGY (INCLUDING THE INCIDENT LEADING TO THE WEARING OF THE INFAMOUS NECK BRACE)

THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE RETURN OF THE KING – "I can’t carry the ring for you, but I can carry you."

So I have a strange association with this movie. After I saw it with my family, I got in a car accident. Scary. Ambulance took me away in a stretcher, along with my mother. I guess I should have started these sentences off with I’M OKAY AS ARE MY PARENTS, just some muscle damage and it wasn’t my fault, but I can’t tear this association away from this movie yet. When you’re lying on a stretcher with your neck in a brace wondering whether your body’s adrenaline is masking the true pain you might be feeling, well, talking about story nuances and character arcs just doesn’t exactly come easy. So, in short. Despite everyone’s complaint about the endings, I think this movie finished one of the greatest epics that I’ll ever see put to film.

SCENE TO REMEMBER: Eowyn taking on the Witch King




Mom’s comment:  The effects of the accident lingered….and Sam wore a neck brace off and on for a while, leading to the story told at his funeral:


He’d been called on to come in early every day that his big boss was in the office during the time that he was wearing the brace.  On this particular day, the boss had ordered chicken from El Pollo Loco, and Sam discovered that all the office had were plastic forks and knives, and it was known that the boss would not use them.  So he scrounged around and found a real fork and a larger knife (not a machete, as his boss would later say), and put those on the tray for the boss.  A few minutes later, the boss came out and threw a fit (and a few other items), got into his limo, and left.  Sam was quaking in his boots – he knew he was going to be fired….

His immediate boss’s phone then rang, was answered, and the immediate boss handed the phone to Sam, saying, “It’s for you.”


The big boss then told Sam he’d done a great job for the company  - no firing on that day.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment