Monday 11 February 2013

Day #13 - February 11

SAM ON A MOVIE DETAILING AN ODD BUT FASCINATING GUY, HARVEY PEKAR

AMERICAN SPLENDOR – "You might as well know right off the bat, I had a vasectomy."

That’s the line that Harvey (Paul Giamatti) says when he first meets Joyce (Hope Davis), a woman Harvey will wind up marrying. And it perfectly sums up the tone of this movie. A movie which works because it perfectly encapsulates the idea that extraordinary things can be taken from an ordinary, if not miserable, life.

SCENE TO REMEMBER: The explanation of REVENGE OF THE NERDS.



 Mom's note: What a splendid little movie this was.  Even though I'm not a fan of Paul Giamatti, I couldn't have pictured anyone else playing this part.  AND -- I  GOT TO GO TO THE PREMIERE WITH SAM!!!!  It was a little premiere, but it was a premiere nonetheless: I still have the HBO wristlet I had to wear to get into the theater.  I remember shedding a tear as the last scene rolled, a scene that included the real people whose story had just been told so well.  There was an after-party, but Sam didn't want to go, so we went instead to -- IN-N-OUT BURGER!!  It was my first time.  There we were, all dressed up for the premiere, waiting with a motley collection of folks for some awesome burgers.  It was such an LA/Sammy evening, one that I'll never forget.  
The premiere wristlet - hanging next to my chalkboard at school
Oh, yeah.

No comments:

Post a Comment