Thursday 7 February 2013

Day #17 - February 7

SAM ON A MILITARY MOVIE THAT HE REALLY...UM...DESPISED.

JARHEAD – I wonder whether veterans who have seen their best friends
die in foxholes appreciate a movie about a bunch of kids (my
generation) complaining about not seeing any action.  That's what this
movie is.  Here's another reason to hate this movie: "Fundamentally,
Jarhead disobeys all the laws of American movies, and not just the
political laws of American movies right now which demand on some level
to tell us which side they're on.  In Europe, there's a sense this
film comes from the tradition of absurdist war movies about the
futility of conflict.  It has more in common with Beckett, Sartre and
Banuel than it does with Oliver Stone.  In America, they assumed I was
trying to make an Oliver Stone movie and that I'd failed." – Sam
Mendes.  Um, Sam.  You made a movie about a bunch of whiny brats. Oh
and by the way, Americans love DR. STRANGELOVE, MASH, and CATCH-22.
All absurdist military fare and not about whiny brats.  I hate Oliver
Stone, but I hate your movie more.  Asshole.



Mom's note: I didn't like Sam Mendes much either after he cheated on the lovely Kate Winslet -- and I haven't seen Skyfall yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment