Saturday 16 February 2013

Day #8 - February 16

SAM RECOMMENDING A MOVIE TO HIS BROTHER FRANK (from Sam's emails on his computer)

Considering Chris asked me if I'd seen the Ice Storm over winter break, I figured I'd help with any future renting choices...

I hope you have watched THE SEA INSIDE at home with its panoramic, operatic grace... One of the more humanist movies I've seen in some time.  I like to think that our family was an informal member of the (German) free-thinking society, the world that Kurt Vonnegut inhabits.  Don't believe in religion, just behave kindly to your neighbor and expect the same in return, i.e. humanist.  Anyways, the idea of seeing the protagonist of this movie "visiting the beach" in your TV room is something to behold...you won't be disappointed.

Yes, I'm watching it on my 19" screen and still moved to tears.

AND NOW HIS REVIEW OF THAT SAME MOVIE
THE SEA INSIDE – "A life without freedom is not a life."

Now, this is a euthanasia movie (Sam rubs his hands together).  Oh yeah!  What if I were to tell you that this was the most escapist movie I saw all year?  And that most of it takes place in one room?
With a man who can only move his head?  And it's in Spanish?  What if I were to tell you that Alejandro Amenabar has now become the most exciting young director for me to watch (sorry, Mr. Shyamalan)?  He's only 32 and he directs (and writes) with this much maturity?  Bless
him and Mr. Bardem.  Can't wait for the next one from both.  I guess I can now be considered an Amenabar/Bardem whore.  Too bad there isn't a theme park.

SCENE TO REMEMBER: It's a tie…when Ramon (Javier Bardem) visits Julia (Belen Rueda) on the beach…and…when Julia suffers a stroke and all Ramon can do is yell her name.
Mom's note: Another movie that I haven't seen because it just sounded too depressing...I know it's ultimately uplifting, but sometimes I get lost before I manage to reach the uplifting part.  But I do love that Javier Bardem, especially when I got to see him in the flesh at the awards ceremony in New York that honored No Country for Old Men (among other movies of 2007).









No comments:

Post a Comment