Monday 18 February 2013

Day #6 - February 18

SAM ON ANOTHER MOVIE FROM HIS PRODUCTION COMPANY

THE QUEEN – "Move over, Cabbage."

I've already written quite a bit about this movie (see:
http://www.cincity2000.com/content/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=339).
But to recap, it's not just the performances that make this a really good film.  It's also the notion that western society at large today requires their leaders to be showy and emotional when tragedy strikes.
Weeping, heartfelt speeches seemingly are more important than policy or judgment.  I wish I had something funny to say about the matter.

SCENE TO REMEMBER: The opening credits when the Queen poses for her portrait.

MORAL TO THE STORY: Go against your instincts, sell out, and the public will forgive you.

 Mom's note: I came home from a performance of STEPPING OUT on August 31, 1997, in which I played a British woman who was learning how to tap dance, and when I turned on the TV, I heard the news about Princess Diana. I spent the entire weekend glued to the TV set, watching events unfold related to the tragedy.  This movie so perfectly captures my memories of that time by cutting from the actors playing the parts to real footage of that weekend and more.  I got Sam to send me this poster, and it hung in my classroom for a year (until I got a True Grit poster, I think!!).  It still hangs in a colleague's room.


My last role - August 1997 - I was in about a play per year from 1980-1997.

No comments:

Post a Comment