Saturday 9 February 2013

Day #15 - February 9

SAM ON A TOUCHING MOVIE ABOUT AN IRISH FAMILY LIVING IN NEW YORK CITY IN THE 1980s

IN AMERICA – "Say goodbye to Frankie, Dad."

This was the year of the onion. No, not the humor newspaper. The chopping of the onion. I shed more tears this year than any other year I can recall (other than that period from age 9 to 11 where I would cry at the drop of the hat about anything, which is not really a year, but a couple of years). So, in the year of the movies that made me cry this movie made me cry the hardest. Granted, that does not qualify a movie to be good. I mean, TITANIC got me to sniffle a tad. The difference with this movie was that everything was earned. The acting, the writing, the direction. It added up. It’s not a perfect movie, but it came pretty close. Not to name drop or sound cool, but I went to the U.S. premiere of this movie, and even those emotionless, heartless people who seem to make up a good portion of the film industry were noticeably sniffling. The power of this movie is that it made assholes cry. An asshole crying is a sight to see indeed. On par with the sun setting over the Pacific.

SCENE TO REMEMBER: So many to choose from, but I’ll go with the carnival/tennis ball scene.




 Mom's note: This was from the year of Sam's crying at the movies, 2003.  Yesterday's entry (Whale Rider) was #8 on this list; this movie was his #1 for that year. Last night I was talking to a friend whom I haven't seen in a while, and she told me that this blog is reminding her of movies that (1) she missed the first time around and plans to see or that (2) she wants to see again.  Me, too.  This one was a heartbreaker but ultimately so fulfilling - and it's based on Jim Sheridan's true life experience. 


No comments:

Post a Comment